Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Braised Salmon! Yay!

Thank the good lord for seafood. If there is a god, whatever form that might take, i am sure that mollusks, crustaceans and fish would have a definate place in heaven (although isnt it forbidden in the Bible to eat shellfish? Oh well). Fish in my house constitues about sixty percent of our total dinners, mostly do to the low prices of frozen salmon and tilapia fillets at Wegmans. Now, I know frozen fish sucks, I know there are ecological concerns, I know we should buy fresh, but for feeding a family, it works great. It also allows for myrid ways of making bland, boring fillets taste great. Last night, inspired by a chicken dish I'd tried last week, I made poached salmon in a white wine broth, over a bed of lemon and leeks and served it with garlic bread and feta. It was intriguing and delightful. The lemon lent a subtle, tangy air to the dish that worked well with the sharpness of the wine, and the leeks and vegetable stock made a fragrantly smooth broth for bread dipping. It was tasty success, and one that I am looking forward to trying out with more poachable foodstuffs and aromatic spices.
That being said, the thing that haunts me most about Seattle, and the thing that I am most looking forward to is fresh pink salmon. The first thing I am going to do when I arrive in June is wood grill the hell out of a whole fish and serve it with bruised tomatoes and lots of lemon and garlic. You're all invited, of course.

No comments: